Who is Roo?
Questions & Answers About Veronika Roo
Q. Who are you?
A. A 50-year-old wife, friend, writer, homeowner and corporate communicator.
Q. What are you currently working on?
A. A book called People in Charge: A Novel.
Q. Where do ideas for the story come from?
A. All over the place:
- Observing the Occupy Wall Street movement. In the world of my main character, Willow, you are either a member of the people in charge or you’re part of the 99%.
- Strolling through the Red Light District of Amsterdam and musing about morality, legality, sexuality, sensuality and fidelity.
- Wondering why not all marriages are mutually satisfying.
- Expanding my definition of family, thanks to an amazing boy from the Ukraine adopted by close friends, who were inspired to launch Adoption Services International.
- Listening to people talk about their lives.
Q. Who helps you?
A. I am fortunate to have a strong, supportive, smart network:
- My husband gives me time to write, cheers me on, fixes my coffee and cocktails and makes each day the best day of my life.
- My Aunt Theresa, Beta Reader, reality checker and touchstone when I need to picture my audience.
- My Baby Brother, whose day job improves his community and broad range of talents support the arts.
- My living the American Dream brother, who began writing and, in asking for my opinion, helped me see the gaps in my own prose.
- Michelle Cameron and my classmates at the Writers Circle.
- My Pilates instructor, Barbara, gives me Six Degrees of inspiration.
- My friends, family and colleagues, who tell me to keep on writing.
- My Muse, Bobby Anasazi, first conjured during a month-long educational high school camping trip through the American Southwest.
- My mantra: Never be boring. Never run out of ideas.